Overall CBDC Brand Rating for Pure Spectrum: 8/10
Pure Spectrum specializes in three CBD product lines: the original Pure Spectrum CBD, Black Label, and EndoPets. All three product line ups are formulated to target specific lifestyles and concerns.
The company promises that its CBD products are made with phytocannabinoid-rich, whole-plant extracts without tetrahydrocannabinol (THC). However, the brand’s extraction method used in obtaining its CBD extract was not specified.
The brand’s certificates of analysis, dated December 2020, shows the amount of CBD per serving size. Unfortunately, the lab results for contaminants are not available.
Pure SpectrumCBD offers a wide range of products that include CBD tinctures, CBD salve, and CBD bath soaks. They also offer CBD tinctures and CBD chewables for cats and dogs.
However, it would be best if the company also provided ample information on the usage and dosage, as they are not mentioned on their website.
Still, Pure Spectrum gives back to veterans and first responders by offering them discounted prices as part of the brand’s Heroes Program. The company also ships internationally.
Pure Spectrum Company Summary
- Pure Spectrum is based in Evergreen, Colorado. The State of Colorado has been operating an innovative industrial hemp program since 2014, setting the US standards for hemp production.
- The founder, Brady Bell, asserts his passion for reintroducing the “million-dollar farmer” concept in America’s CBD industry. This concept promotes the fair allocation of earnings between hemp processors and farmers.
- Pure Spectrum has a list of athletes and public figures that act as brand ambassadors promoting its CBD products.
Pure Spectrum Pros and Cons
|Wide range of products||No information on extraction method and contaminants|
|Updated COAs||Limited flavor profile|
|Military and first responders discount||No information on product usage and dosage|
Pros of Pure Spectrum
- The brand offers a wide range of products that target specific lifestyles. For example, the Black Label line is specifically made for athletes and people with an active lifestyle.
- Most of the brand’s certificates of analysis (COAs) are dated in 2020. The most recent COA is dated November 2020.
- Pure Spectrum offers a Heroes Program, which caters to active military, veterans, and first responders. According to the brand’s website, these discounts are typically processed within a day after all the requirements are met.
- The company offers both domestic and international shipping. All domestic shipping is shipped via USPS with a flat rate of $9, and the international shipping has a flat rate of $22.50.
Cons of Pure Spectrum
- Although the brand asserts its clean and standardized manufacturing process, the extraction method used was not specified. The extraction process aims to make the hemp plant’s beneficial components, such as terpenes and CBD, available in highly concentrated forms(1).
- The product’s COA does not include the lab results for contaminants. This lab test should show the presence or absence of pesticides, herbicides, heavy metals, and other residues present in a product.
- Pure Spectrum limits its flavor profile to the natural flavors of hemp. The grassy and earthy taste of hemp may not be appealing to first-time users.
- The brand’s website does not give information on the initial dosage and instructions on the usage of its products.
Review of Pure Spectrum CBD Products
Pure Spectrum Cannabidiol Oil Tinctures
The brand’s best-selling original Pure Spectrum CBD Cannabidiol oil tinctures come varying CBD content: 250mg CBD in a 15ml bottle, 500mg and 1,250mg CBD in a 30ml bottle, and 2,500mg CBD concentration per 60ml bottle.
The company claims that its CBD oil tinctures are made with organic and phytocannabinoid-rich hemp extracts with fractionated coconut oil and terpenes.
According to the product page, Pure Spectrum CBD oil is THC-free and has approximately 17mg CBD per 1ml serving.
Pure Spectrum CBD Relax: Lavender Salve
Results in a study on rats suggested the potential therapeutic use of CBD in chronic pain(2). Moreover, the anti-inflammatory properties of CBD were noted in a study reviewing its main biological effects(3).
According to the product page, Pure Spectrum CBD Relax: Lavender Salve is blended with essential oils, shea butter, candelilla wax, coconut oil, and vitamin E.
It also comes in a variant, Invigorate Natural Salve, infused with refreshing citrus.
Both variants come in 500 mg CBD concentration.
Pure Spectrum Black Label Cannabidiol Oil Tinctures
Research on CBD and sports performance noted the potential physiological, biochemical, and psychological benefits of CBD on athletes(4).
According to the product page, Pure Spectrum Black Label CBD oil has a high CBD concentration, ranging from 2,500mg CBD to 5,000mg CBD.
The brand claims that these Black Label CBD oil tinctures contain cannabinoids and terpenes without the THC.
Pure Spectrum EndoPet Cannabidiol Oil
The brand’s CBD products for pets include the EndoPet Cannabidiol Oil for dogs and cats. Pure Spectrum has three CBD strengths for the CBD oil for dogs depending on their weight.
For small breed dogs weighing 1-20lbs, the 150mg CBD strength is recommended. The 300mg CBD concentration is made for medium-sized dogs with a weight of 21-50lbs, and the 500mg CBD concentration strength is best for large breed dogs weighing 50lbs and over.
A study on dogs with osteoarthritis have noted that canines administered with 2mg of CBD per kg of their body weight were active and comfortable(5).
Pure Spectrum CBD Isolates
Pure Spectrum also offers pure cannabidiol isolates. These CBD isolates may be used to boost a person’s daily intake of CBD. It comes in 10 grams, 20 grams, and 50 grams per tin.
|Recommended for||Optimizing wellness|
|Source of Hemp||Colorado cultivars|
|Popular Products||Pure Spectrum 500mg Cannabidiol Oil|
|Types Sold||Broad-spectrum CBD and CBD isolates|
|Range of Products/Forms||CBD tincture, CBD salve, CBD bath salts, CBD face cream, CBD body lotion, CBD for pets, CBD isolates|
|Price Range||From $9.88 for a Pure Spectrum Bath Soak up to $799.88 for Pure Spectrum 50g Pure Cannabidiol Isolate|
|Extraction Method||No information available|
|Lab Testing Transparency & Availability||COA for each product is available on the brand’s website.|
|CBD Concentration per Serving Range||Based on the information in the COA dated December 2020, Pure Spectrum Regular Strength Cannabidiol Oil has 549mg CBD concentration per 30ml bottle.|
|Potency||According to the COA, the Pure Spectrum 30ml Regular Strength Cannabidiol Oil has 18.3mg/g CBD per dropper serving.|
|THC Range of Products %||None detected|
|Flavors||No flavor available|
|Tincture Carrier Oil||Medium-chain triglyceride (MCT) oil|
|Lab Results||Third-party lab tested|
|Shipping/Delivery||Offers international shipping|
|Guarantee||No money-back guarantee|
|Refund Policy||30-day refund policy|
|Contaminants||No lab results for contaminants|
|Vegan and Gluten-free||No information available|
|Customer Service||Email: [email protected]|
|Country Served||The USA and other countries|
Pure Spectrum asserts its commitment to deliver high-quality CBD oil formulated to promote optimal health and assist in body recovery.
This CBD brand aims to cater to promote health care for athletes and people with active lifestyles.
A study has shown that CBD may have the ability to modulate the body’s inflammatory processes(6). Since persistent inflammation may defer functional recovery and prolong muscle pain, it is crucial to note CBD’s possible stimulation of anti-inflammatory cytokines.
The study also highlighted that a high dose of CBD was associated with muscle strength improvement and coordination(7).
Source of Hemp
The brand claims that it uses organic hemp extract sourced from its US Department of Agriculture (USDA)-approved partner farms and cultivars in Colorado.
Among the brand’s line of products, the 500mg regular strength Pure Spectrum Cannabidiol oil is the most popular.
Pure Spectrum focuses on broad-spectrum CBD and CBD isolates.
The brand does not offer full-spectrum CBD, which has all the phytocannabinoids, including tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), and terpenes found in hemp plants.
Full-spectrum cannabis products are believed to produce the most therapeutic benefits(8). The terpene profiles’ positive contribution to the effects of cannabinoid creates a synergy called the entourage effect(9).
Research shows the binding of these phytocannabinoids to the endogenous receptors found in the endocannabinoid system (ECS) of mammals(10). The ECS affects the functions of the nervous, gastrointestinal, and endocrine systems(11).
CBD-rich full-spectrum extracts derived from hemp with low THC content are considered federally legal in the United States(12). However, full-spectrum CBD extracts’ safety have yet to be proven by further studies and research.
Range of Products/ Forms
The brand’s popular product forms for the three lines of products offered are CBD oil tinctures and CBD topicals. It comes in different strengths to suit every person’s lifestyle.
The pricing of the company’s best-selling Pure Spectrum Cannabidiol oil starts from $24 for the 250mg Regular Strength up to $194.88 for the 2,500mg Extra-Strength.
Pure Spectrum did not give specific details about the extraction method used in its products.
The common extraction methods used in obtaining cannabinoids from cannabis plants are the CO2 extraction method and ethanol extraction.
Lab Testing Transparency and Availability
The certificate of analysis (COA) for each product is available on the brand’s website. The COA is needed when checking the purity and legitimacy of a CBD product.
CBD Concentration per Serving Range
The 30ml Pure Spectrum Regular Strength Cannabidiol Oil has 549mg CBD concentration per bottle based on the information in the COA dated December 2020,
According to the COA, Pure Spectrum 30ml Regular Strength Cannabidiol Oil has 18.3mg/g CBD per dropper serving.
THC Range of Products %
The COA states that there is no tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) detected in the Pure Spectrum Regular Strength Cannabidiol Oil in a 30ml bottle.
Pure Spectrum cannabidiol oil does not contain any flavor.
Tincture Carrier Oil
The primary carrier oil of Pure Spectrum products is medium-chain triglyceride (MCT) oil. The brand claims that the MCT oil it uses is organic.
The COA shows that the lab test results for Pure Spectrum products are third-party lab-tested.
The brand offers international and domestic shipping. However, it did not mention the specific countries where the brand ships.
According to the brand’s website, domestic shipping delivery takes seven to ten business days, while international shipping may take three to five weeks.
The company does not offer a money-back and customer satisfaction guarantee.
The brand offers a 30-day refund policy for unopened products. Refunds can be applied via [email protected]
There is no information available about the contaminants’ lab results in the COA. There is no way to verify the safety of the products.
Vegan and Gluten-free
The brand did not indicate if its products are non-GMO, vegan and gluten-free. However, the ingredients used are provided on the product pages.
Pure Spectrum’s customer service is available from 8:00 am up to 6:00 pm, Mountain Standard Time (MST).
The brand asserts that it caters to the US and other international countries. However, these international countries were not specified.
More About Pure Spectrum
According to other Pure Spectrum CBD reviews, the brand partners with Cannabis Research Foundation and Industrial Hemp Research Foundation, and Sievers Bio Tech.
The brand does not offer honey oil and vape products, like vape oil or a vape pen. Pure Spectrum focuses on its broad-spectrum CBD oil and CBD isolates.
Some product reviews offer coupon codes for Pure Spectrum products. However, the brand’s website only provides discounts for its Heroes Program.
Pure Spectrum products are available on the brand’s website at purespectrumcbd.com.
Pure Spectrum claims to derive its CBD extracts from USDA-approved farms in Colorado using safe and clean extraction methods.
However, a disclaimer states that Pure Spectrum products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, and prevent diseases. The products are designed to be used as supplemental dietary products.
People on prescription medications are recommended to seek a doctor’s advice before trying new products.
The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has yet to evaluate statements on the brand’s website.
- Project CBD, (n.d.), CBD Oil: An Introduction, retrieved from https://www.projectcbd.org/cbd-101/what-is-cbd-oil
- Costa, B., Trovato A. E., et. al., (February 2007), The non-psychoactive cannabis constituent cannabidiol is an orally effective therapeutic agent in rat chronic inflammatory and neuropathic pain, retrieved from https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S001429990601257X?casa_token=KSBIFdAfTq8AAAAA:XNsB-j9-wcySRmNejruzsW6jlYaA3V7q2hvrRrzEkBf-BPjsDqRnZ1PN-v17ZEALx7Fe9Sy0V7Re
- Atalay, S., Jarocka-Karpowicz, I., & Skrzydlewska, E. (2019). Antioxidative and Anti-Inflammatory Properties of Cannabidiol. Antioxidants (Basel, Switzerland), 9(1), 21. https://doi.org/10.3390/antiox9010021
- 4McCartney, D., Benson, M.J., Desbrow, B. et al. Cannabidiol and Sports Performance: a Narrative Review of Relevant Evidence and Recommendations for Future Research. Sports Med – Open 6, 27 (2020). https://doi.org/10.1186/s40798-020-00251-0
- 5Gamble L-J, Boesch JM, Frye CW, Schwark WS, Mann S, Wolfe L, Brown H, Berthelsen ES and Wakshlag JJ (2018) Pharmacokinetics, Safety, and Clinical Efficacy of Cannabidiol Treatment in Osteoarthritic Dogs. Front. Vet. Sci. 5:165. doi: 10.3389/fvets.2018.00165
- McCartney, D., Op. Cit.
- Age Management Medicine Group, (January 2019), Full Spectrum Cannabis – benefits beyond THC & CBD, retrieved from https://agemed.org/e-journal/feature-article-january-2019-full-spectrum-cannabis-benefits-beyond-thc-and-cbd/
- Ferber, S. G., Namdar, D., Hen-Shoval, D., Eger, G., Koltai, H., Shoval, G., Shbiro, L., & Weller, A. (2020). The “Entourage Effect”: Terpenes Coupled with Cannabinoids for the Treatment of Mood Disorders and Anxiety Disorders. Current Neuropharmacology, 18(2), 87–96. https://doi.org/10.2174/1570159X17666190903103923
- Age Management Medicine Group, Op. Cit.
- Mead, A., (May 2017), The legal status of cannabis (marijuana) and cannabidiol (CBD) under the US law, retrieved from https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1525505016305856